About the Role
We are seeking an Electrical/Traffic Signals Design Engineer to join their Engineering Team. Reporting to the Engineering manager, this position will be responsible to provide electrical design, and modelling capabilities for construction projects in the large residential, commercial and industrial, and utility sectors. The engineer will have experience with low voltage power distribution, medium voltage power system, Traffic Signals Design, and municipal utility design standards. This role will be responsible for providing the engineering design based on technical quality, cost effectiveness, adhering to the local utility standards as well as Canadian Electric Code, building and maintaining client relationships, and providing guidance to a team of designers and drafters. This position requires an experienced person to work independently, from conceptual studies to final designs certified for construction.
Engineering Responsibilities (60%):
• Drafting and/or design of low and medium voltage electrical systems, using AutoCAD
• Drafting and/or design of Traffic Signalization and Street Lighting Systems for municipal road and private roads
• Basic Knowledge of one-line drawings, elementary and wiring diagrams, equipment specifications (including transformers, MCC, switchgear, substation equipment); power plans, conduit plans, cable schedules, system studies and protective relay settings.
• Coordinate the design with stakeholders involved with the project
• Prepare construction documentation for review, pricing and construction
• Communicating with clients, City officials and outside consultants
• Maintain CAD drawings and design documentation
• Thorough knowledge of industry standards and design guidelines, including Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA), Transportation Association of Canada (TAC) Guidelines for Understanding, Use and Implementation of Accessible Pedestrian Signals, Ontario Traffic Manual OTM Book 12 and 12A, IESNA RP 8 Roadway Lighting, TAC Guide for the Design of Roadway Lighting, Ontario Electrical Safety Code
• Professional manner, tact, diplomacy, sensitivity and discretion in dealing with various stakeholders and colleagues, including solid negotiation, facilitation and conflict resolution skills
• Sound judgment and decision making ability with a willingness to employ a consultative and collaborative approach to addressing issues and making decisions
• Strong business acumen with an ability to influence, motivate and inspire with or without positional authority
• Critical thinking and discernment to assess and scope areas for improvement and an ability to offer creative solutions
• Proven ability to take initiative and in-depth knowledge of how to champion a project from conception through implementation and evaluation
• Organizational skills to manage multiple activities/projects that are accurate and thorough, sometimes of a complex nature
• Computer skills in Microsoft Office with advanced skills required and proficiency in AutoCAD
• Strong customer service skills and ability to understand and translate customer needs and expectations and provide excellent customer service directly and indirectly to meet
• Ability to interpret client specifications, and Preparation of engineering reports
• Must be able to attend commercial and industrial sites and observe all applicable safety regulations.
Project Management Responsibilities (40%):
• Manages projects through design, approval, coordination, construction and assumption phases.
• Contract administration including tendering, award, quantity review, completion and assumption stages.
• Assists with the procurement of new business for the Company.
• Communicates with all project stakeholders.
• Maintains critical project information, drawings, files, spreadsheets and records.
• Supervises and mentors Engineering Technologists/Technicians.
• Job site visits as required for interpretation of construction drawing, and for general compliance with specs.
• Attends design and project meetings as required.
• Manage project budget, schedule and deliveries
• Monitor project budgets & tracks the spending to the budget
• Problem-solving resource allocation issues within the Group
• Facilitate project related problem solving and issue resolution by engaging pertinent parties and expertise as required
• Ensure that critical project work has been verified at key milestones by facilitating design review mechanisms
• Maintain the integrity of the project management tool and other group software, ensuring licenses and updates are kept current and users are utilizing them effectively
Education requirements: Electrical Engineering Degree from an accredited institution
Traffic signal design experience or an engineer with traffic signal experience
Prior experience in consulting for an owner or EPC contractor is preferred.
Required years of experience; 2+ years relevant electrical engineering
knowledge of OESC, CEC, NEC, UL, IEEE, OBC, NFPA, etc.
Soft skills; able to interact, as part of a team, with all types of clients and teammates; detail oriented; proactive and able to manage time well; able to build relationships.
Communication skills. Be fluent in the English language with excellent verbal and written communication skills
P.Eng credentials is a nice to have